Gramm-Leach-Bliley (GLB) Act
FileShred helps companies be GLB compliant by providing secure onsite document shredding services of their customer’s private information. So give us a call to get information, pricing and schedule your GLB document destruction service.
Banks, Credit Unions, Investment firms and all other financial institutions need personal information to properly service their customers. That information includes full names, addresses, phone numbers, account numbers, income, credit reports and Social Security numbers. The Gramm-Leach-Bliley Act (GLB) requires financial firms to protect this confidential information and that extends to when the information is going to be discarded.
Included in GLB Act is the Safeguards Rule. This Rule requires financial institutions under FTC jurisdiction to secure customer records and information whether such information pertains to individuals with whom they have a customer relationship or pertains to the customers of other financial institutions that have provided such information to them.
How to Comply
The Safeguards Rule requires firms to develop a written information security plan that details their program to protect customer information. The plan must be appropriate to the company’s size and complexity, the nature and scope of its activities, and the sensitivity of the customer information it handles. As part of its plan, each company must:
- Designate employees to coordinate its information security plan.
- Identify and assess the risks to customer information in each relevant area of the company’s operation, and evaluate the effectiveness of the current safeguards for controlling these risks.
- Monitor and test its information security plan.
- Select vendors that can maintain appropriate safeguards, make sure your vendor agreement requires them to maintain safeguards, and oversee their handling of customer information.
- Evaluate and adjust the information security program that result from changes in the firm’s business or operations, or the results of security testing and monitoring.
- Train employees on the information security plan and regularly reminding all employees of the company’s policy and the legal requirement to keep customer information secure and confidential.
Customer Information in Paper Form
Shred all customer information recorded on paper and FileShred can help you do that. We offer onsite paper shredding services that can be customized to meet any firm’s need. Business can choose our One-time Service when they have an infrequent need to shred files or our Schedule Service for an ongoing way to secure destroy confidential business records.
Be GLB Compliant with NAID AAA Shredding
FileShred is NAID AAA Certified. Being AAA certified means we have been audited and continue to receive unannounced audits to insure we follow the strictest policies and procedures in the shredding industry.
We can help you shred private documents to be GLB compliant so give FileShred a call.